Tony Burke MP









Drone Walk For Respect.jpg


Our office can provide you with help and advice on a range of Federal Government services. This includes Medicare, Centrelink, Immigration, passports and grant programs. Our office contact is 02 9750 9088.

Suburbs that are completely in the Watson electorate include Ashbury, Belfield, Belmore, Burwood Heights, Campsie, Chullora, Croydon Park, Enfield, Greenacre, Lakemba, Mount Lewis, Punchbowl, Roselands, Strathfield South and Wiley Park.

Suburbs that are partly in the Watson electorate include Ashfield, Bankstown, Beverly Hills, Canterbury, Croydon, Hurlstone Park, Kingsgrove, Lidcombe, Narwee, Riverwood and Summer Hill.

Check the map below to see if you are in the Watson electorate.




Are you a local community group interested in grants? Click below to find out more about the different available grants.

Stronger Communities Program

Communities Environment Program



Watson is one of the most colourful and multicultural areas in Australia. I've lived here all my life and been the local member since 2004. I have seen the area grow and change to represent the face of modern multicultural Australia. Half of the people in Watson were born overseas. English is the only language of 27.2% of people living in Watson. Other languages spoken are Arabic, Greek, Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Korean, Bengali, Italian.

The electorate of Watson includes Lakemba, the site of the Walk for Respect. This was a massive event which turned the tide of the Government's attacks on 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act. The campaign began in 2014, and the Walk for Respect was a celebration of 3,000 people in 2017.

The electorate name of Watson came from Australia's third Prime Minister Chris Watson who served 27 April–12 August 1904.

Stay up to date with local issues

Sign our local petitions

HOW CAN WE help?



Do you need help with a Centrelink issue? The Centrelink phone numbers are here. If you need help with other languages, hearing or speech impairment when talking to Centrelink, see this useful page here. If you need further help my office is happy to help you on (02) 9750 9088.



Do you need help with immigration, passports, citizenship, visa or travel documents? You can call immigration on 131 881 or visit the website here If you have further questions and need help you can call my office on (02) 9750 9088

Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.55.44 am.png


Do you require a JP? Members of my electorate office are authorised to witness and attest documents. A JP will generally be available Monday to Friday, 10am to 4pm.

Community contacts

Council contact details:  or 9707 9000

State Member for Lakemba, Jihad Dib 9759 5000

State Member for Canterbury, Sophie Cotsis 9718 1234

Police Emergency 000

Local police non-emergency, 58 Campsie Street, Campsie 2194 9784 9399

Local Centrelink, 19-21 Anglo Rd, Campsie NSW 2194 13 24 68

Translation services 131 450

National Sexual Assault, Domestic Family Violence Counselling Service  1800 737 732

Sydney Women's Counselling Centre  9718 1955

Bankstown Women's Health Centre  9790 137

NSW Domestic Violence Lin  1800 65 64 63

Legal Aid 1300 888 529

Metro Assist 9789 3744

NDIS 1800 800 110

Immigration 131 881

Passport Office 131 232

Lifeline 13 11 14

Community directory:

AEC logo - RGB.PNG


To enrol for the first time or get back on the roll, you can enrol online.

Click here for more details:

You will need to provide evidence of your identity. You can use your driver's licence, Australian passport number or have someone who is enrolled confirm your identity. Please note that the AEC cannot accept any other forms of identification, such as 18+ or Proof of Age cards.

It is compulsory by law for all eligible Australian citizens to enrol and vote in federal elections, by-elections and referendums.

You are eligible to enrol if you:

  • are an Australian citizen, or eligible British subject,
  • aged 18 years and over, and
  • have lived at your address for at least one month.

If you are 16 or 17 you can enrol now so when you turn 18 you'll be able to vote.


Congratulatory Messages

Please fill in the below form to receive a congratulatory message.

Type of Anniversary *
Have you previously received a congratulatory message?

Request a congratulatory message

Anniversaries are a very special time in our lives and should be celebrated. The State and Federal Governments in Australia have an arrangement to properly recognise certain anniversaries by way of messages from elected leaders and officials.

If you have an anniversary or birthday milestone coming up please fill in the form.

What are anniversary messages?

Special recognition of significant wedding and birthday milestones. Australians who are eligible for a congratulatory message (see below section for more information) can receive personal congratulations from the their local Federal Member, State Member, Prime Minister, Governor-General or The Queen.

Who qualifies?

The Prime Minister will send a message of congratulations to people turning 90 years of age or more. The Queen and Governor-General will send a message on a 100th birthday. On request, the Prime Minister and the Governor-General will write again every year and The Queen will write again every five years.

The Prime Minister and Governor-General send messages to couples celebrating 50 years of marriage and subsequent wedding anniversaries. The Queen sends messages to couples celebrating 60 years of marriage and will write every five years after that on request.

Note: Messages from The Queen can be arranged for couples or individuals who did not receive a message on their 60th wedding anniversary or on their 100th birthday, as the case may be.

How to arrange the message

If you live in the Watson electorate (please see the map above), you can make a request for an anniversary message by filling in the form on this page.

You will need to provide supporting documentation like birth certificates or marriage certificates. If these are not available you can provide a statutory declaration. Statutory declaration forms are available at my office.

Where appropriate, your request to the Prime Minister will be passed on to the Governor-General and The Queen so you only have to make one application.

To arrange a message from the State Premier you should contact the office of your local state parliamentarian.

When to arrange the message

You can make arrangements for anniversary messages up to two months before the celebration.

You can request a belated message up to one month after the birthday or wedding anniversary has passed.

For eligible occasions, requests received within six months after the occasion will be passed to Government House in Canberra for their consideration for a belated message from The Queen.

Where will the message be delivered?

Anniversary messages can be delivered directly to the recipient or to a care-of address for surprises.

Tony Burke headshot


Tony Burke is the Shadow Minister for Multicultural Australia & Citizenship; Shadow Minister for Environment & Water; Shadow Minister for the Arts and Manager of Opposition Business in the 45th Australian Parliament.

Tony’s portfolios reflect his lifelong commitments; to modern multicultural Australia, to the environment, and to the arts.

In Government Tony Burke was responsible for resolving 100 years of conflict in the Murray-Darling Basin, placing Tasmania’s forests on the World Heritage list, implementing the comprehensive Creative Australia arts and culture policy, and making the second-largest conservation decision in the history of the planet by protecting our oceans.

He has led the fight against racial hate speech with the iconic Walk for Respect in the heart of his community in Lakemba